Friday 13 January 2012

Its All About the Pout

In my opinion taking care of your lips is the most important part of your skin care routine. I’ve suffered from very dry lips in the past, so I make sure I look after them as much as possible. Most people forget about their lips, especially in the summer, when they can become extremely damaged from the sun. The skin on your lips is incredibly delicate, so using a lip treatment with an SPF in it is very important. My lip treatment of choice is Blistex Relief Cream, which is a medicated cream that you can use for cold sores, but it is also a great moisturiser for chapped and sore lips. I use it every day, and I have no encountered any side effects, so although it is a medicated cream it hasn’t caused any problems. Blistex Relief Cream doesn’t have SPF so during summer I will use a separate product. I also use a lip scrub before bed, I use the sugar lip scrub available from Lush which come in a variety of different flavours, these are great as once you’ve massaged them into your lips you can just eat the remaining sugar, and they taste great :P

Using lip scrubs and keeping your lips in the best possible condition is vital if you want to create flawless application of your favourite lipsticks, especially if they are a matte finish. Before applying lipstick make sure your lips are well conditioned, and if you need to, use a scrub to ensure there are no dry patches. Let the lip treatment sink into your lips so there is no oily residue left over as this can cause the lipstick to streak.

I’m not one to wear lipstick everyday, as my lips are very highly pigmented naturally, so just a bit of lip balm will be enough to create a natural bitten look. However, I do like to wear lipstick to create different moods. I have 4 favourite lipsticks which are all very different, as I like to mix up my makeup.

Is my most recent purchase, I was looking for a deep black red for winter, as I love the look of heavily matte bronzed skin and dark cherry lips for Autumn/Winter, especially on crisp sunny days (days such as today). Bronzed skin can easily be forgotten about during the winter months, but a good matte bronzer, to contour and warm up the skin looks great, and paired with deep cherry black lips it looks amazing. I found it very hard to find the right tone, as a lot of these colours that have been brought out are very cool toned, edging on the purple/blue side. However, Revlon’s Black Cherry has the right amount of red, yet still keeps that black, dark colour without looking like you are wearing a red lipstick. The only downside I would say about this colour is that it doesn’t apply well to the wetter part of your lips, so you are often left with a tide line where the lipstick has slid off when you close your lips, applying, blotting with tissue, and re-applying is essential. Also, as it is a very dark colour, I would recommend using a lip brush to create a full on look, or with your finger blotting it into your lips to create a more sheer look.




Number 3 – Maybelline New York COLORsensational 148 Summer Pink
When I’m feeling pretty and girly I often opt for a soft pink lip, this is the one that I reach for. It’s a really nice metallic pink, that’s super easy to apply as its opaque in one application and very smooth and moisturising, and its one of those lipsticks that you don’t have to think about when applying, mirrorless application is really simple with this lipstick as its not an extremely bright colour and applies a bit like a coloured balm more than a lipstick. It also has a slight scent of sherbet and vanilla, which isn’t overly offensive, but if you are sensitive to smells then this might not be the one for you, saying that, the scent doesn’t transfer over to taste, so unless you’re going to be walking around with your lips stuck to your nose, it will go relatively unnoticed.




This is another easy to apply lipstick, and it is incredibly smooth and moisturising. This colour is definitely a “my lips but better” colour and its almost a perfect colour match to my actual lip colour, with just a bit more of a neutral undertone. In the picture you can barely see the colour, but the shine is beautiful, and you wouldn’t need to apply a gloss over the top of this. And surprisingly this isn’t sticky at all, even with the high gloss finish. I wear this lipstick quite a lot as you can probably tell, in fact, I have two. The only downside to this lipstick is that because they are so creamy and soft they do tend to melt and break very easily. So a trip to the fridge is sometimes needed alternatively you could decant them into a small pot and use from there, as they don’t like to stay in bullet form.




And finally

Number 1 – GOSH Soft’n Shine Lip Balm – 41 Kiss
Don’t let the name of this product fool you, this is in no way a tinted lip balm, it has all the qualities of a lip balm, brilliantly moisturising, but the pigment in this lipstick is insane! You need the smallest swipe and the colour is opaque straight away, and very glossy. It also smells similar to MAC lipsticks which is a pleasant vanilla scent. I love this red, as it is a true red, its not too orange, and its not too pink either. I also really love that the bullet is small, so its easy to apply straight from it, instead of using a lip brush as you can get into the corners of your lips with out going over the lines. Unfortunately, this product is discontinued, I don’t know why GOSH decided to stop making these lipsticks, they are absolutely amazing, but I’m sure you will be able to find them on eBay






I hope you enjoyed today’s post. Remember, every Monday and Friday I update here
You can also follow me @FaiBassett on twitter for updates. You can also find a blog post written by me for The Academy of Makeup’s blog here

Thanks for reading guys :)

Fai x

*Disclaimer. I am in no way affiliated with any of the brands mentioned in this blog. I have provided links for the products that I could find on line. All of the products mentioned can be found in Boots and Superdrug throughout the UK

No comments:

Post a Comment