Monday 23 January 2012

Why I Chose Make Up


So many people ask this question, and I can understand why. The make up industry is one that not many people can get their head’s around. People know about it, but not always do they understand it. Over the past few years make up artist’s have had a new platform to show case their talent, and more and more people have become interested in the industry by finding make up tutorials on YouTube, and reading the blogs of make up artists as it’s become to the forefront of social media.

I have always been interested in makeup, mainly because I love colour and experimenting, but also because I suffer with bad skin, and I’m also incredibly pale. Finding ways around and having to create my own foundation cocktails by mixing different colours because I have never found a single foundation that suits my skin got me more interested in the other side of make up. It wasn’t just about creating looks with amazing colours; it became more about wanting to know how to make other people feel better about themselves.

A lot of people have the opinion of “you shouldn’t wear makeup because it’s fake”, but I completely disagree. Wearing make up can change a person, yes, but it only enhances a person in the sense that it gives them the confidence to step outside their front door without having to feel embarrassed or self conscious about the way they look. There is nothing in make up that seeps into the brain that changes personality, trust me. I’ve been there, and I very rarely step outside without a full face of make up. And wanting to do so doesn’t mean that I’m conceited, wearing make up makes me feel confident enough to walk with my head held high, and I wanted to be able to make other people feel that way too.

Of course, you can create alter egos for yourself with the way you create your makeup, but this doesn’t mean it isn’t the real you. Everyone has so many sides to them, that so what if one day you want to wear no make up at all, and the next day you want to wear black eyeliner and red lips? You shouldn’t be made to feel bad about wanting to either, no matter what other people say about “being natural” you can be natural and wear make up. If you don’t feel confident enough, or you just want to even out your skin tone that little bit, it doesn’t mean this isn't the real you!

And this is the reason I chose make up artistry as a career. Of course I still love creating amazing looks and trying new things, but the feeling of creating a look that gives someone more confidence to go and do something they wouldn’t usually do is so much greater than anything else, because I know what it feels like.

Very short entry today, but I think people are so often judged by their appearances, whether it’s because they’re not wearing make up, or because they wear “too much”. And it needs to stop. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make yourself look that bit more flawless. And let’s face it, anyone that says they prefer a person without make up on is probably lying…because they clearly haven’t seen me when I wake up ;)

Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog by clicking “Join This Site” and follow me on twitter @FaiBassett

Fai x

No comments:

Post a Comment