Friday 6 January 2012

MAKEUP IS ART - Review

This Christmas I was lucky enough for my sister to buy me this beautiful book, MAKEUP IS ART - professional techniques for creating original looks. As I unwrapped it I saw this incredible artwork on the front cover
The picture I've taken doesn't really do it justice, in real life you can see the shine of all the diamante's and it just blew me away completely. Needless to say I sat and read this book for most of the morning on Christmas day, just completely awe struck over the pictures inside.

But lets get down to an actual review. This book was created by the founder of The Academy of Freelance Makeup Jana Ririnui, with the help of makeup artist and creative director Lan Nguyen. The book has everything that any student makeup artist needs to know, and also is a great refresher for any trained makeup artists too! I found reading it made me remember a few of the little bits and pieces that you do tend to forget if you don't keep up the practice (oops!). The book is broken up into different chapters which cover everything, from skincare to backstage and catwalk makeup!
The last few pages of the book have amazing advice on how to build portfolios and how to get work in the industry, to build up a client base and getting your name out there!

Even after you've read through this book, the pictures are so inspiring its difficult not to just pick it up and flick through. Its also a great way of thinking of new ideas, and to get your makeup stash out and re-creating the looks on yourself. There are an amazing variety of wearable looks, and some beautiful creative pieces, using rhinestones and crystals, that really get my creative juices flowing, because I'm a sucker for anything shiny!
In fact, this book is going to be a great inspiration for when I dress up as a disco ball a the end of January. There will no doubt be a F.O.T.D and O.O.T.D for that, because I'm going to a big glittery mess! Love that.

This book is available on the AOFM website here and I would highly recommend it for any aspiring/student makeup artist, and for every makeup artist who is already working but just likes to have a good look through some beautiful work that others in our field do!


Thanks for reading!
Fai x

*disclaimer - I was given this book as a Christmas gift, and I am in no way affiliated with the company

No comments:

Post a Comment